Monday, May 10, 2010

Preseason All-SEC Team

Here are my first team All-SEC Selections. Curious to see how I compare to the real the one. The offensive line is not divided into positions, it will consist of four linemen and one center. The defense will be in the 4-3 format with the linebackers consisting of just linebackers as whole.

Offense

QB  - Ryan Mallett - Arkansas
HB  - Mark Ingram - Alabama
HB  - Derrick Locke - Kentucky
WR - A.J. Green - Georgia
WR - Greg Childs - Arkansas
TE  - Orson Charles - Georgia
OL - Lee Ziemba - Auburn
OL - Derrek Sherrod - Mississippi State
OL - James Carpenter - Alabama
OL - Clint Boling - Georgia
C   - Mike Pouncey - Florida

Defense

DE - Pernell McPhee - Mississippi State
DE - DeQuin Evans - Kentucky
DT - Jerrell Powe - Mississippi
DT - Drake Nevis - LSU
LB - Justin Houston - Georgia
LB - Dont'a Hightower - Alabama
LB - Chris Marve - Vanderbilt
CB - Patrick Petersen - LSU
CB - Neiko Thorpe - Auburn
S   - Mark Barron - Alabama
S   - Bacarri Rambo - Georgia

Special Teams

P   - Drew Butler - Georgia
K   - Blair Walsh - Georgia
KR - Derrick Locke - Kentucky
PR - Stephon Gilmore - South Carolina

I tried to be as unbiased as possible. Any thoughts or suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rambo as a first team all-SEC safety is pretty damn biased. I think Charles is a stretch as well, especially with the other TE's we have. I think the other UGA guys are reasonable. I could see Sturdivant(if he can make it back all the way) or Cordy Glenn making first team O-line instead of Boling, but Boling is the logical choice at this point.

Derrick Locke at UK is a good back, but I don't see him making first team.

Anonymous said...

I love Rambo and Charles, but both are sophomores and I just don't see them on the All-SEC first team quite yet. Julio Jones and the receiver from South Carolina (can't remember the name) could easily take that other WR spot from Childs.

And while you have to go with the returning Heisman winner in Ingram, I wonder if he won't even be the leading rusher on his team this fall. Richardson is a beast and has better over all speed.

Dawgsopinion said...

As both of you pointed out I was a little bias, Charles and Rambo are two of my favorite Dawgs. I will have have to admit the both probably do not deserve 1st team All-SEC yet. As for the rest of my picks I am pretty confident in them. I see your point with Greg Childs, however with Mallett throwing him the ball all season and the numbers he produced last season I do not see why he can not make 1st team.

I also agree with Trinton Sturdivant but we will have to see how he plays this season.

CoachEmUp said...

Brandon Boykin is a top 5 corner in the entire country (Kiper), so I think it would make sense that he would at least be on this list. Abry Jones is All-SEC caliber talent, we'll have to cross our fingers that his production matches that talent. Orson Charles was first team freshman all-american so heck yes he belongs on this list. I can see Rambo having a break out year considering the new pressure defense, so I understand the selection. Cordy Glenn is one of the top offensive linemen in the SEC and has been for 3 years, so if we have a good season running the ball, he may get his due appreciation. Boling is a no brainer, and Houston is a good pick. My sleepers are Cornelius Washington and Washaun Ealey with outside shots for Gamble and B. Jones.

CoachEmUp said...

Also...it all depends on what type of season we have. If we win a lot of games, everybody will get recognition; if we lose too many, nobody who deserves it will get it. It just comes down to getting the W's.