Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Richt Discusses Mettenberger

Coach Richt addressed the media on Tuesday after the team finished it's second spring practice and spoke about Zach Mettenberger "I'm disappointed, first off. I did spend some time with them and there's some more information, I want to gather some more information before I make a final decision. But I certainly think it will be by the end of the week before I have a final decision on what we're going to do."

Richt informed the media that their is a good chance that Mettenberger will be suspended for the opening game this year "If there's an alcohol-related arrest that sticks, basically, it's an automatic one-tenth suspension and even in a 12-game season it's considered one game," but Richt stated that he will not be limited to the one game suspension

"I can do whatever I want but I still want to get all the information in before I make some kind of public decision. There have been times where something was alleged that really didn't happen," he said. "I'm not saying that's the case right now, but I'm just going through the normal protocol getting any other information I can, then talking with our administration because anytime this kind of thing happens we want to be in agreement of what we want to do."

Their is talk already that this incident has knocked Mettenberger out of the competiton for the starting job. Richt stated though that this will not be the case

"It won't affect Zach's reps in the spring at all, If he's suspended for the first game, when we get ready to practice and move into the phase of getting ready for the first game, whatever day we start practice for the first game, anybody who is suspended does not get any reps of consequence."

This will only make for a more interesting spring this year.

No comments: