Thursday, February 11, 2010

QB Duel Almost Underway

The Bulldogs offense one would think should be one of the better offense's in the SEC next year with 10 starters returning. The only problem with this is that the one starter that graduated was QB Joe Cox. Most Bulldog fans were not sorry to see Cox go. He was anything but consistent last year. With that said their is a pretty good QB duel setting up for this spring between Zach Mettenberger and Aaron Murray. If you ask the coaching staff it is a three way race with Logan Gray also in the mix. I for one would be shocked if Logan Gray is named the starter. If you ask most Georgia fans they are under the impression that Murray is the front runner right now. Murray had this to say about the starting position:

"I view it is it's anyone's job to win right now. I'm looking forward to the spring and it's my goal to get that position. I'm going to try and work as hard as I can, work as hard as the other guys because I know they're going out there trying to do the same, We're all friends, we're not enemies, we hang out, we go out together to eat. There's no hatred, but we're all going out there to win the position."

 Murray in the fans minds will be the starting the QB come the opening game in September. However, most UGA fans should not count out Mettenberger just yet. Mettenberger has the stronger arm of the two but it is his accuracy and footwork that coaches are concerned about. He has been working on his footwork and accuracy since he enrolled in Georgia early last spring and according to the Mettenberger he has improved:

"I've never felt I was an inaccurate passer. People have also said I'm a gunslinger, but that' also inaccurate, I definitely feel I can throw as good and as accurate as anybody. It all goes back to my footwork, but I feel my footwork has gotten just as good as the other guys, if not better."

Whoever wins the battle should feel pretty good about his surrounding cast. The Bulldogs have an offensive line that has been together for two years now and the top receiver in the SEC. Orson Charles some believe good become the best TE in the SEC this year now that Aaron Hernandez of Florida is heading to the NFL. Plus with Washaun Ealey and Caleb King in the backfield, who would not want to be the starting QB.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

duel

Anonymous said...

Duel... dual duel if Gray's out of the mix. If he's still in it then I guess it's a ... trial?